[Chugalug] OS Hardware & Makerbot's reversal

Jason Griffey griffey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 16:22:43 UTC 2012

I don't think Makerbot cares or even notices Tangibot, frankly. I
think that Makerbot, like many companies, took investment $$ and now
has to find a way to crank the return on investment up. One way to do
this is to move from the Apple I to the Macintosh...that is,
transition your hardware from open, kit type to slick and immediately
useful type. That seems to me to be what they are doing with the
Replicator 2.

I've got a Replicator 1 sitting on the desk next to me. It's a
wonderful machine, but I would rank it's user-friendliness about a 6
on a 1-10 scale. They need a 9 in order to really make the sort of
hardware that is usable by non-geeks. That's what they are after.

And goodness knows it's not like there aren't 9087234967234 other 3D
printers out there at this point competing with them. If they are
going more closed, there's plenty of choice.

Jason