[Chugalug] OS Hardware & Makerbot's reversal

William Wade willm.wade at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:57:13 UTC 2012

What do yall think about the recent news
(http://news.cnet.com/8301-32973_3-57520633-296/pulling-back-from-open-source-hardware-makerbot-angers-some-adherents/)
with Makerbot going less open source?

It is in response to the Tangibot project to make a cheaper version of
it, but it is odd in my viewpoint. Makerbot had the name and due to
the nature of open source the changes that enabled the Tangibot to be
cheaper could have been (if desired) merged back into the Makerbot's
stuff. I think Makerbot is cutting themselves off from a bunch of free
inovations. On top of all that it undermines the goal of 3D printers
for everyone.