[Chugalug] linux forcibly installed on congressman's computer

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 17:17:02 UTC 2012

Quoting Rob Huston <hellinabucket at gmail.com>:

> Two comments from the article.... "Whoever did this, the people responsible
> are very ignorant...", based on the average obvious intelligence, at least
> on THIS list, and extrapolating to the criminal, they're probably pretty
> smart; perhaps just a little short on knowledge of federal law..... #2, "But
> staff had backed up the hard drive contents hours beforehand."  Now I'm a
> geek, and I know how often I back up my hard drive, and compared to my wife,
> a business person, who doesn't know what or how to perform backups .... just
> makes me wonder, either his IT staff is pretty darn good, or something's
> fishy....

I tend to believe both of your suggestions -- his IT staff *is* pretty
good AND something's fishy. My thought is that he or someone on his
staff thought there might be "incriminating evidence" and so thought
"hey, let's wipe the hard drives and install Ubuntu and claim
vandalism." I'm guessing if it was an inside job, they didn't know the
backups had been done.