[Chugalug] CSS/JS/HTML Therapyon http://chugalug.org

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Sep 25 20:55:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:24:26 -0600
Eric Wolf <ebwolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> The short answer:
> http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/sep/18/9-18-c1-epb-throws-down-the-speed-gauntlet/

The long answer: I get 2gig/month with my cell phone plan before my
data rate is throttled. I generally only use a couple hundred meg of
that plan, but that means that uncompressed Chugalug.org is a 1/4000 of
my data plan. Sure, not really enough to get het up about, relative to,
say, watching a video when I'm out and about, but I still think about
such things.

On the other hand, jquery-1.6.1.min.js, which I'm starting to use
allover the place, is 90k. So maybe Eric is right.

And since today is, for me, about learning new technologies and
embracing things I've long struggled against (like JavaScript and
AJAX), maybe it is time to say that bandwidth, on the scale of text
files, has become free.

Dan