[Chugalug] Falling in love again.... (with Linux)

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Sep 21 14:18:06 UTC 2012

Finally got some time between road trips where I could retool my main
laptop (a big clunky Sony with a great screen and keyboard) from Ubuntu
12.04.

I installed the latest Bodhi. (Ubuntu + Enlightenment)
which is much more gelled then even a few weeks ago.
I picked the plain "Laptop/Tablet" interface,
"Default" theme.. set "Window Focus" to "Click Windows to Focus"

from command line:
apt-get install cups libreoffice joe vlc evolution xterm firefox...
(all my usual programs)

Am just using a couple of shell scripts to change my screen configs
for different dual monitor configs.. like:

   xrandr --auto --output VGA-1 --mode 1920x1080 --right-of LVDS-1

Without using the funkier and funkier nvidia settings manager..

Right clicking a running program's taskbar icon gave me the ability to
add a program to a quick select favorites list (right click on desktop
anywhere) and a mac-ish quick launch menu (mode specific)..

What I feel:

   My laptop is FAST again.
    Only using 1gb of ram (with a Lamp server installed!)
   The interface is clean, crisp, high contrast and.. did I say: Fast!
   No hangs no hiccups no pauses..

   With everything installed, I'm using just under 10gb of HD,
   including a restore of lots of crud (docs/data/pics/etc..) from
   my old system.

In many ways it is old skool.. but with just enough
polish to feel sexy and powerful. Everything so far, just works.
It feels good to be in love again. :)