[Chugalug] intern

Nate Hill nathanielhill at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:40:13 UTC 2012

isn't that what CAPTCHA is doing now?  I thought that was the genius behind
it... that every time you fill one out you are helping with character
correction in a digitization project.

This would be an interesting thing to make.  A lot of libraries and
businesses have a 'labs' division.  I'm sort of toying with giving our
library a 'public labs' division that could meet and work on things like
this during regular events like this 'Hack the Library' thing I'm sort of
cooking up right now (stay tuned).

What kind of resources might go into making something like this?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Sean Brewer <seabre986 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wish there was an open source reCAPTCHA. This would be a great way for
> libraries to digitize their archives easily.
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Nate Hill <nathanielhill at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Over at the library in our local history department we've got some pretty
>> neat oral histories.
>> The transcripts are all typed out on paper and the content is all burned
>> to CDs.
>> I'd love to find an intern, perhaps a student, who would be interested in
>> OCRing all of those transcripts and making everything accessible on the web.
>> If you have experience with this kind of thing and want to take on a
>> project, please drop me a note.
>> Thanks
>> Nate
>>
>> --