[Chugalug] Orange Grove Center would like your spare computers!

Michael Scholten dmscholten at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 02:20:23 UTC 2012

(this is not meant to come across as an ad or anything...)

So I mentioned during the first 4th Floor meeting that Orange Grove Center
recycles computers and other electronics. I had hoped to get back sooner to
everyone about this with more details after being asked about location,
pricing and approved items. Sorry to have taken so long on this...

Essentially our ITC (Industrial Training Center) recycles computers, as
well as other jobs and contracts. I talked with them about what they do and
don't accept and it sounds like pretty much anything computer related
they'll take. Also TVs, radios/stereos, etc... All the items are broken
down, separated and then recycled. All the proceeds then go back to Orange
Grove to support the the individuals we serve who are mentally/physically
handicapped.

The only thing they charge for are CRTs as they cost us money to recycle. I
believe the rate is $10 per CRT. Everything else is free to drop off. They
prefer drop offs be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am to 2pm. The address
is 615 Derby Street, Chattanooga, TN 37404. The ITC building is on the
corner of Citico ave and Arlington ave with a garage door on Arlington for
drop offs.

-----

Now, for the other reason I wanted to post this. We have 350~ computers we
manage, both at the center and in all of our residential homes, with a very
small budget. The majority of the PCs we use are pulled from what is
dropped off in ITC. Thankfully they don't have to be very robust computers.
We install Linux Mint on all of the desktops. Some days we get a few good
computers that we can get running and replace our older PCs.

Not to sound like a beggar, but if you or your company has computers, or
other electronics, that you are needing recycled then I ask that you
consider Orange Grove. Also, if you have computers that may be older (or
newer!) that still have life left in them and would like to get them out of
the way, I would love to talk with you! The upside of having the recycling
program is that, if the computer is good but has a bad part (pretty much
anything but mother boards) or just needs more memory, we probably have a
part available!

I now return you back to your regularly scheduled CHUGALUG programming...

-Michael