[Chugalug] writing EULA's for your own site

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Thu Oct 25 14:09:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:02:15 -0400 (EDT)
Rod-Lists <rod-lists at epbfi.com> wrote:
> Is there a a how to out there? Or a local shyster who practices in
> that area of the law?

I've written the EULA for a product that sold hundreds of thousands of
copies for a company that had the resources to hire the lawyers.
Management said "The installer needs a EULA click-through". I said "can
legal give us one?". "Legal thinks EULAs are worthless, but we need a
EULA click-through". Sigh.

And I've also written a liability waiver for a non-profit venture I was
involved in. Got an hour and a half of help from a lawyer on that, the
end-result of which was "you're going to be better at writing this than
I am, because if it ever gets in front of a jury it's going to be what
*they* think it says."

Double-sigh.

Dan