[Chugalug] OT? support

wes wes at the-wes.com
Tue Oct 23 18:01:47 UTC 2012


if there's an app that someone is willing to pay me to use then sign me up
cuz I want on board that wagon (at least while it's still rolling)

-wes

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Ed King <chevyiinova at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> how can you say that if you don't have a clue what the apps are?  we
> service a very niche market
>
> I've been told we're the market leader...    so why am I driving a Chevy
> Nova instead of a Mercedes?  Oh yeah... because I want to, lol
>
>
> ------------------------------
> *From:* wes <wes at the-wes.com>
> *To:* Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group <
> chugalug at chugalug.org>
> *Sent:* Tue, October 23, 2012 11:19:43 AM
>
> *Subject:* Re: [Chugalug] OT? support
>
> if you have 9 applications out there spread across 1060 users, you, I mean
> they, are not monetizing the apps well enough.
>
> I'm all for user-friendliness, but there is no reason you, I mean they,
> should be paying people to use any app.
>
> -wes
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Ed King <chevyiinova at bellsouth.net>wrote:
>
>> A certain company I know has...
>>
>> 14 servers
>> 9 applications
>> 3 physical locations
>> 1060 users
>>
>> supported by 2 people on a daily basis, with 2 other people "on tap" if
>> needed.   Seems like a darn good ratio to me, yet, we're, I mean they, are
>> under the gun to "become more profitable."  Support, of course, is seen as
>> unprofitable.   Maybe we, I mean they, should just turn off the damn
>> lights, lock the building, and go home?  That would save all kinds of
>> money!  Yeah!
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> *From:* wes <wes at the-wes.com>
>> *To:* Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group <
>> chugalug at chugalug.org>
>> *Sent:* Tue, October 23, 2012 9:59:56 AM
>> *Subject:* Re: [Chugalug] OT? support
>>
>> my company hits pretty low on all those metrics. we have about 10 indians
>> plus me and 1 more here in the states for escalations, supporting about 300
>> end-users both in the US and in india.
>>
>> -wes
>>
>>  On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Ed King <chevyiinova at bellsouth.net>wrote:
>>
>>> went to Google and searched for "support staff ratio" and found all
>>> sorts of
>>> "testimonials" and food for thought
>>>
>>> there's no right/wrong answer but considering
>>>
>>> 1) how many users we support
>>> 2) how many physical locations
>>> 3) how many servers
>>> 4) tech saavyness of our users
>>> 5) how many applications and their complexity
>>>
>>> I think we're doing pretty effin good with only 2 "support" people.
>>>  Good to
>>> have this thought out, the next time "someone" ask why we need "so much"
>>> support.
>>>
>>> cool, its almost time for my 2 hour lunch break
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----
>>> From: Ed King <chevyiinova at bellsouth.net>
>>> To: chugalug at chugalug.org
>>> Sent: Tue, October 23, 2012 9:04:38 AM
>>> Subject: [Chugalug] OT?   support
>>>
>>> I'm not a PMP project manager nor do I play one on t.v.
>>>
>>> However, my team *delivers* and our systems make money for the company.
>>>   We
>>> don't have any failed projects where the servers are sitting in storage
>>> room
>>> gathering dust.
>>>
>>> Now, I never said we were perfect.   Does our software have bugs?  Hell
>>> yeah it
>>> has bugs.   Some of them never got caught during testing because our
>>> field users
>>>
>>> are a lot more clever about breaking things than we are.
>>>
>>> Anyway, my question is, how many support personnel "should" be expected
>>> for any
>>> given software system of significant complexity?    I know thats kind of
>>> a vague
>>>
>>> question.
>>>
>>>
>>> I'd love to get some real world examples of how many support folks your
>>> software
>>>
>>> has (and the size/complexity of the system being supported)
>>>
>>> If a team is constantly cranking out new products, isn't it just common
>>> sense
>>> that the need for support going to increase?
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Chugalug mailing list
>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Chugalug mailing list
> Chugalug at chugalug.org
> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://chugalug.org/pipermail/chugalug/attachments/20121023/89e22d94/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Chugalug mailing list