[Chugalug] Need Part Time Sys Admin(s)

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:03:02 UTC 2012

Obviously my email question to the list yesterday about hardware
recommendations for a quiet, small, reliable syslogging machine was really
popular. </sarcasm> On the flip side, I'm looking at some embedded PCs with
SSDs right now, and will probably settle on one soon.

Now for the point of this email...

I am looking for someone who could possibly be on hand on an as-needed
basis to monitor some CentOS servers and keep them running if something
were to happen (rarely: think - only when I'm travelling, deathly sick, or
get run over by a bus).

I'd like this person to be local (hence I'm emailing the local Linux user's
group), and I'd like to meet with this person before hand. An NDA is
required (as we're dealing with clients' information), and trust worthiness
is an absolute must.

*Requirements:*
Experience in CentOS CLI with specific experience configuring and
maintaining LAMP stack environments, including (specifically):

   - Sign an NDA & noncompete (you won't steal my clients - of course
   you're welcome to work in the industry on your own stuff... just don't
   steal my clients)
   - Postfix + Amavisd-new + Doevecot
   - Apache
   - PHP
   - MySQL
   - BIND
   - Some knowledge and common sense in server & private-key security

*The following experience is preferable:*

   - Drupal + Drush
      - Including installing, configuring, and updating Drupal core as well
      as contributed modules
   - Wordpress
   - SSL certificates
   - CSF (A firewall platform I like to use)
   - Nagios

It goes without saying that SSH / CLI experience is necessary. Now
obviously many of you possess these skills. I realize that. I'm not looking
for the Einstein in server administration. I'm just looking for a reliable
person I could contact (and put my clients in touch with) in case I'm sick,
travelling, etc...

Duties would include:

   - Monitoring the servers (I use Nagios for alerts, and soon, will likely
   be added a 2nd Nagios server for distributed monitoring).
   - Responding to problems (which occur rarely)
   - Keeping all information you are provided completely safe and
   confidential
   - Cleaning up the mess if the unthinkable happens (I die or get deathly
   ill)
      - Yeah, this is a morbid thought. I don't plan on dying any time
      soon. But I care about my clients, and want to make sure there's good
      contingency plans in place in case I disappear of the face of this planet.

Email me your resumes and references if you're interested. Again, this
wouldn't be a lot of work ... it would just be on an as-needed basis. And
if I call you up, and you're not available for weekend X, then no big deal
- I'll find someone else... I just want a good team in place.

Thanks,
David

--
- David White -
Smooth Stone Services *(soon to be CENTS)*

Existing Website: http://www.smoothstoneservices.com
New Website (coming soon): http://developCENTS.com