[Chugalug] Android Phones & Linux

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:11:14 UTC 2012

I have a Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE and love it.  I don't have any issues
connecting it and transfering media and files to and from my machines
running Fedora and RHEL6.

The are a bunch of reasons devices switched to MTP. One is so that you can
manage the device in a universal way using any of the open source media
players out there (similar to how iphone and itunes works together).
 Second is that is "hides" the system partitions on phones that have only
internal storage so a user doesn't inadvertenly write over it.  WIth most
devices shipping with huge internal storage, there is little need for a
memory card slot.  So when you mount the phone, Android's MTP only lets you
modify non-system folders (very simplified explanation).

Linux has trouble with MTP in much the same way it has with GPUs.  The
problem stems from the wide variety of devices on the market (a good thing
honestly), but manufacturers do not release updated identifiers to the
maintainers (the bad thing).  So, its up to the Linux community to discover
what these device identifiers are and then release them upstream.

As we have mentioned in other threads, you might trying looking for libmtp
and mtpfs in your repositories.  I am running Fedora 17 and have them
installed and can connect my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (the original, older version)
without any issues.  Here is a link to a FUSE mtpfs project that may help:
http://www.adebenham.com/mtpfs/