[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi, and how to start X automatically

James Nylen jnylen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:11:13 UTC 2012

Thanks for the tips.  I don't have much experience in this area so I will
probably be back to ask more questions.

My plan was to have a simple web server running on Arduino which would just
accept basic commands over HTTP or some simpler protocol.  Someone's
already written the web server code (https://github.com/sirleech/Webduino).
 Anything more rich (like presenting a web front-end) would be handled by a
program running on a real computer with a real web server.  I should have
said LAN-enabled instead of internet-enabled.

So I would either have to:

1) Buy an Arduino + Ethernet shield, and connect sensors to it

2) Buy a RPi + some kind of add-on board for connecting sensors (as far as
I can tell, several are in development, but Arduino is a more mature
platform for connecting stuff to the real world)

The fact that I would still have to buy an add-on board for RPi seems to be
a good argument in favor of using Arduino.

Is any of that wrong?  Is that a good approach, or would you still say to
use a RPi?