[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi, and how to start X automatically

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Mon Oct 22 14:22:33 UTC 2012

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 23:13:31 -0400
James Nylen <jnylen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have lots of stuff I'd like to do with small Internet-enabled
> devices too.  I think RPi is overkill for most of them though.

Yeah, probably, but consider the problem of prototyping: Unless
you're building your own hardware, a Raspberry Pi is not substantially
more expensive than an Arduino. So the question is: Which is easier
to turn into a full-featured web device?

Sure, you can play around with an EtherShield and a tiny TCP/IP stack
web and create a little web server in C that carefully manages limited
flash avaoilable on an 8 bit embedded device. And this is a great
strategy if you get to amortize your development costs over a couple
of thousand or tens of thousands of devices.

But a full on ARM device with Linux and an SD card lets you build your
web server with Perl, not worry about squeezing out the unused bits of
jQuery, and so forth.

If you were building that sous vide cooker for the mass market? Start
with Arduino and spend a bunch of money getting your parts cost down.
If you're building it for you? Then we get to...

> I'm leaning towards Arduino for those things, but I need to do more
> research and find the time.

"find the time". Exactly. This is why I won't look askance at anyone
who decides a Raspberry Pi makes a great Christmas Tree sequencer (to
take a project I built from laying out my own board a few years ago
as an example).

Dan