[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi, and how to start X automatically

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Mon Oct 22 02:50:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:09:51 -0400
James Nylen <jnylen at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the first things I need to do is have it start the X server
> automatically when it powers up.  This page (
> http://elinux.org/RPi_Debian_Auto_Login ) says to add "startx" to
> /etc/profile .  But, doesn't that start X as root?

So 'su useryouwantrunXas -c startx'. Welcome to the fun of hacking it
yourself!

> What interesting things are you doing (or you plan to do) with your
> Pi?

I don't have a Pi yet, and am not even sure it's the right technology
given a lot of the little devices I have lying around, but the two
things that come immediately to mind:

1. Open my garage door from my smart phone. This is easier 'cause I've
   got a static IP on my DSL.
2. Do some energy management for my workshop. Not for energy
   management, but to find a way to tell me when I've left the lights
   on and the door open.

Dan