[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi, and how to start X automatically

James Nylen jnylen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 02:09:51 UTC 2012

I finally got my Raspberry Pi in the mail last week (I ordered it back
in June).  I'm working on getting it set up with XBMC to play TV
shows.  My wife is not happy about the ethernet cable running through
the house, but I have assured her it is temporary.

One of the first things I need to do is have it start the X server
automatically when it powers up.  This page (
http://elinux.org/RPi_Debian_Auto_Login ) says to add "startx" to
/etc/profile .  But, doesn't that start X as root?

What interesting things are you doing (or you plan to do) with your Pi?