[Chugalug] Since someone brought zencart

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Oct 19 21:07:57 UTC 2012

> You could always use Mike Harrison's shopping cart. ;D

I've been trying to get the last few users of "Cybrmall" off of it
and onto something else. It's tough. The advantage of having your own cart
and customizing it is you can customize it to do wxactly what the customer
wants/needs.

But once you have, and you are doing some extremely simple thing nothing
else does.. you are stuck. Now you have a mission critical code base that
is a high value target that has to be maintained, updated, backed up..
etc.. and secured.

One of the "cybrmall" systems is on an insanely badly setup system
at MediaTemple, (Not their reason it's been bad..) that has has the entire
server nailed muliple times, completely owned. Not from my shopping cart,
but from FTP, bad Jooma installs and just sysadmin stupidity.

Luckily, that system stores nothing of value.

Unluckily, they guy that did other stuff for them just wrote the CC info
to a file for the office to pickup and process the next day. In plain
text.

Next time I'm drunk I'll post the email to the board of that non-profit
telling them they are crazy and please turn off their non-profit org
store.

My point is: Creating your own e-commerce solution can be more liability
than asset, unless that is all you want to do is maintain it. Doing it for
1000 stores is a great business, doing it for 5 or 1 (unless they are
huge) is a stupid idea. I did about 50 of the them 10 years ago and
realized I was more business coach and therapist than coder and service
provider.

If anyone has a serious (small) store.. do whatever it takes to get amazon
or overstock or someone to do your store part.

Other option: Magento and a crew that knows how to make it dance.

On the odder side: Some people do good things with Drupal Cart or others.

The key part is a clueful person to make it sing, dance
and take care of it. Most small stores don't make enough money to make
that a possibility. The cart/software/cms isn't the issue for small
projects, the people are.