[Chugalug] David Friend of Carbonite on bringing Jobs Back

vandolson@gmail.com vandolson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:39:23 UTC 2012

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

----- Reply message -----
From: "Mike Harrison" <cluon at geeklabs.com>
To: "Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group" <chugalug at chugalug.org>
Subject: [Chugalug] David Friend of Carbonite on bringing Jobs Back
Date: Mon, Oct 15, 2012 5:50 pm

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, Rod-Lists wrote:
> I listening to David Friend, founder of Carbonite, on the Thom Hartmann showtalk about his experience in firing the Indian support service and bringing it back to the US.
> Here is a youtube of another interview on the same topic.

We've had discussions with a major electrical and meter manufacturer (in
India) that wanted use to write some software for them.... We ended up
refusing, it was not a good fit but they were very nice people and
competent electrical engineers / manufacturers.

We asked them why they wanted a U.S, company doing what they wanted done.
Bo$$ even said: You could get this done easily in India.

Their answer was essentially:
Done that, been there, don't want Indian programmers.

One of our "fit" issues was trying to explain the difference between
actual encryption, and just obfuscation in number formatting. They had been told
if it wasn't plain text, it was not a problem by their previous PhD
software types.