[Chugalug] Reminiscing about times I was too young to remember!

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Sun Oct 14 02:09:29 UTC 2012

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 17:07:27 -0400
"Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <shadowhunter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been researching on Wikipedia, and came across the articles for
> Tymnet and Telenet.

What Wes said about things seeming lame in modern terms. What I
remember of Tymnet was that if you could score the right access info,
it could be a way to get to CompuServe without paying long distance
charges. Of course you also had to score a CompuServe account, and when
the whole damned BBS world was there in front of you. And if your local
BBS scene wasn't cool enough, it was easier to hack long-distance
calling services which, in those days, used a 4 digit(!) access code,
short enough to be hacked by hand even if you didn't have an auto-dial
modem.

Or so I've heard *cough*.

Dan