[Chugalug] Android tablets

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 19:58:17 UTC 2012

There are quite a few differences.  CDMA uses a single frequency with each
phone broadcasting on that same channel, but multiplexed with is unique ID.
 This makes it easier to hand the phone over to other cells as you travel,
since the radio in the phone doesnt have to "re-tune" to a different
frequency on the next tower.    GSM uses multiple frequencies and multiple
channels and a handset will "hop" between which is the less used.  This is
fine when you are not using the device, but can be a bit tricky for the
handset to do while its in use.The main reason GSM sees wide adoption in
foreign countries is because of the business models there. The consumers
couldn't afford to buy a new phone to switch carriers, and some countries
regulations wouldn't allow locked contracts.

CDMA in theory can provide faster transmission rates for data, and can
allow a more saturated cell, since each phone is multiplexed on the same
channel. Its more efficient. GSM used to have problems when an area became
saturated, as each phone had to occupy a channel on its own or it would
interfere with others.

In the US is just made more sense to build a more efficient network that
allowed the carriers to add capacity without worrying about saturating a
cell. Due to the market at the time, people didn't mind getting locked into
a contract to get their handsets cheap or free, so there was no need for a
carrier to allow the devices to work on other networks. In the US, the cell
network itself was considered a commodity, and was a carriers main
competitive advantage, why would a company want to "share" this advantage
with a competitor? So, in those days, CDMA was the best technology to go
with as it allowed a carrier to grow the network, offer customers the
ability to go from cell to cell with no dropped calls, and they didnt have
to worry about over saturation.  To expand capacity, a CDMA network can
just upgrade modulators to add mutliplexing capacity at the tower.  For GSM
to expand capacity it meant errecting new towers to add more channels on a
dfiferent frequency that new customers phones could use.

If I were a business at the time, I would have certainly chose CDMA as
well, since it gave me expandability at a lower cost, and could
theoritically provide better serivce to my customers.

This is a very simplified explanation of the differences and why, as there
is some really technical details involved. But, I hope it helps!

TL;DR:  The reason carriers went with CDMA was it meant more capacity, less
dropped calls. And no stupid gov regulations meant the carriers could
differentiate with what they thought would give them a competitive
advantage.