[Chugalug] Jelly bean

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:05:09 UTC 2012

I consider myself to be an Android power user.  I have a Galaxy Nexus LTE
phone and a Galaxy Tab 10.1.

My Nexus phone has HDMI out. I thought I would use this alot, but it became
a novelty really quick.  I never use it anymore.

My tablet has a rear facing camera.  Again, useless from day one.  Its so
awkward to take pictures with it, and you end up looking like the douchebag
who is taking pics with his tablet.  I do however use the daylights out of
the front facing camera for Google Hangouts and skype, etc.

Both my tablet and my phone support USB OTG. Again, I never use it. I would
much rather use the various Bluetooth devices for human interface out
there.  I have no need to read memory cards (although its possible) on my
devices. If I want to move files to my device I use the many cloud services
out there, or I just connect to my network shares using any of the plethora
of SMB apps in the market.

the expandable memory is a  moot point. My phone and Tablet both have 32
gig of storage, and I am only using around 20 gig on both of them.  I have
a ton of apps, music, movies, pics, you name it, and still have alot of
room left.  I also have 50 gig of Box storage, 200 gig of google drive
storage (I am on the grandfathered $50 per year plan), 25 gig of Dropbox, 2
TB on my own private co-located cloud server, unlimited AWS storage, so I
have zero need for removeable storage in today's age.

I love my Galaxy tab 10.1, but if I were to break it, or need to replace
it, I would definately get a Galaxy Nexus 7.  With all the multitude of
DLNA capable players on the market (Roku, and Plex for me) I have no need
to physically get up and plug my device into the TV to stream my pics and
videos from it.  I can do it from my couch, with the tablet in my hands,
while my wife is playing angry birds at the same time on it.
I also think the Nexus 7 is perfectly designed as a media consumption
device, which is what most people use tablets for, Consumption and not
Creation.

So thats my opinion.  I don't try to parade myself as being the "standard"
mobile device user, nor do I depict myself as being the template that all
mobile device users should be like. But, I just wanted to give some insight
as to how I use my devices in my daily life.  Those features that are
required by Chad for a mobile device to be viable, just aren't viable to
me, and are pretty useless for me.