[Chugalug] Jelly bean

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 15:31:22 UTC 2012

Quoting Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com>:

[snip]
> As far as the operating system goes...  The upgrade process has been
> hit-or-miss, not just for the cheap tablets - but for all the devices I've
> had.  My $200+ Acer Iconia was over 6 months delayed from getting ICS, and
> I don't think it will ever get an official JellyBean upgrade.
>
> But - at less than $100 (sometimes less than $70) I could buy one device
> now with ICS, and in a year whenever Iced Latte or Snickerdoodle or
> Birthday Cake comes out - whatever the next Android update is called...  I
> could buy another one, with a faster CPU and other features...  And still
> have spent LESS than I would have spent on a Nexus 7.  And I'd still have
> my original device.  Or I could sell it and use that money towards the next
> version.

You have a good point, Chad. I wish there were an official port of
Jelly Bean for my tablet. OTOH, I mainly use it for playing around,
not for work, so the old version of Android that it has is "good
enough." Maybe if I had more "bells/whistles" I might use it more.
That being said, some of the apps I want to use won't work on the
version of Android on my tablet, so maybe that's a reason to consider
upgrading to something better, even though I"ve only had this Dell
tablet for a month or so.