[Chugalug] Jelly bean

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 15:12:38 UTC 2012

I don't have 43 tablets - but I do have more than one.  6 tablets (and an
iPod Touch) - that's not counting the ones I have had and have sold.  Those
are just the ones I have currently.

HDMI is hardly a novelty. I have used it for real-world reasons on numerous
occasions.  Making a presentation, for example.  Watching your Netflix at
someone else's house on their HDTV, for another.  Playing multi player
video games on a big screen with Bluetooth controllers...

Cloud based storage is useful, yes, but not for installing applications.
 And, yes, I have filled up more than one device's on-board storage with
nothing but applications.  No media, no documents - just apps.

And even if most devices don't have the features I listed - that doesn't
mean they aren't still reasons to not pick the Nexus.  And, you are right,
not all cheap tablets have those features - maybe not even most - but in
the last 2 months I've either bought or helped someone else buy 3 tablets
each under $100 - that had all of those features - USB OTG, MicroSD,
HDMI,etc..  (One of the tablets didn't have a rear facing camera.)

As far as the operating system goes...  The upgrade process has been
hit-or-miss, not just for the cheap tablets - but for all the devices I've
had.  My $200+ Acer Iconia was over 6 months delayed from getting ICS, and
I don't think it will ever get an official JellyBean upgrade.

But - at less than $100 (sometimes less than $70) I could buy one device
now with ICS, and in a year whenever Iced Latte or Snickerdoodle or
Birthday Cake comes out - whatever the next Android update is called...  I
could buy another one, with a faster CPU and other features...  And still
have spent LESS than I would have spent on a Nexus 7.  And I'd still have
my original device.  Or I could sell it and use that money towards the next
version.

*- Chad W. Smith*