[Chugalug] Lovin' Linux 2

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Wed Oct 10 16:12:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 23:03:34 -0600
Eric Wolf <ebwolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just read some more about SSD reliability. There doesn't seem to be
> a clear answer.

My prejudiced opinion is based on two things: SD cards and flash memory
in general seem to have a much lower half-life than you'd think. CDRs
are way better 1-5 year range archival storage media than SD cards.
When I was doing embedded development straight to high density
rewritable non-volatile memory it was a PITA getting the boot stuff on
there in a way that mapped around the constantly moving bad blocks,
until we got enough of a system up on it to be managing those blocks
and redundancy as part of the filesystem.

Second, it looks to me like we've had a whole lot of SD failures at
work, though I also suspect there's been some cheaping out on
controllers and drives generally.

> I guess the answer is to make sure you have a good backup plan in
> place.

Never a bad idea...

Dan