[Chugalug] UTC Linux Job posting

Reed Gregory reed.gregory at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:12:19 UTC 2012

Well the UTC CompSci program is very small and we have tried to
recruit from it.  However, it seems most of the graduates how little
real work experience.  Not enough to be qualified.  Those that are
qualified are more interested in research or more programming type
jobs.

I am not really sure if it is an issues of little applications or
people applying but not being qualified.  However from the apps that
have gotten through I would expect it is more of the first.

Now to not get in trouble, I will talk in general terms having worked
at a couple HE institutions.  Higher Education is not really the "real
world" as it relates to the job market.  The person who wants to work
and succeed in Higher Education is the person who understands and
values the benefits that Higher Education can provide.  Higher
Education institutions are going to prefer people with degrees.  They
are in the business of formal education, so it makes sense they value
it highly.

In general if the person values the highest possible paycheck, HE is
not the right fit for them.  The HE atmosphere is one where you have
little operating funds, but a large flexibility to come up with unique
solutions to problems.  UT jobs include about 52 paid days off a year
including 2-vacation days a month, 1-sick day a month and various
holidays.  Also if you need to complete your undergrad or get a
masters/phd/edd, it is free and management provides flexibility to
take those classes.

I say it is not the "real world" because it is not a production type
environment.  I worked at a software startup for 2.5 years and made
lots more money, but it was 60-65 hours a week, with lots of stress
and lots of travel.  I prefer the slower pace of the HE world and
value my sanity more than the almighty dollar.  Every job and work
environment has it's pros and cons.

I would close with saying that anyone interested should apply.  If you
think you might be under qualified, so what.  Let the HR people decide
that.  Don't dimiss a good opportunity because you are afraid of
rejection.

Reed

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:48 PM, William Wade <willm.wade at gmail.com> wrote:
> Back when I was looking for jobs I would almost always skip the
> colleges due to the application process being so long and useless for
> presenting a me that stands out of the crowd. Not to mention the fact
> that I went through a lot of pain to make my stuff look good, I don't
> want to just stick text in fields after all that work.
>
> That being said I would guess part 1 and part 2.
>
> On top of that, doesn't UTC have a CompSci program? Why not recruit
> out of there (assuming you can say...)?
>
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Ed King <chevyiinova at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> I'd posit that the "best" place to post such adverts would be...    right here
>> on chugalug.org :)
>>

>> It really surprises me that you haven't had much luck with the candidates...
>> if I may ask, is the problem:
>>
>> 1) hardly anyone is applying
>> 2) folks are applying, but they lack skills
>> 3) something else?

>>> l.s.walker (Skype)