[Chugalug] Could the maker movement become the Maker Party?

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Mon Oct 8 15:29:48 UTC 2012

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 16:21:15 -0400 (EDT)
Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:
> I've lived in the Washington DC-area for almost 30 years and am
> pretty cynical about politics in general, yet if a Maker Party would
> ever form, I would be 150 percent behind it.

Parties are things that form and reform platforms around coalitions.
For better or worse, things like patent law reform, first sale
doctrine, etc, are all fairly minor issues around which to build a
coalition.

Further, I spent last year doing research for FHWA reports, and I'm
fairly well convinced at this point that much of the money spent by the
federal government on "research" is piddled away on Berkely PhDs who
don't have the critical thinking skills necessary to escape from a
paper bag and who are chasing bizarre and easily disproved theories.

(The current focus on V2V communications being a perfect example)

So I think that "make" culture (what we used to call hobbyists, back
before TV) has some room to provide input to the major parties, but
since I gave up on principles in politics I think that that's a far
more pragmatic mechanism than trying to build a separate party
structure.

Dan