[Chugalug] Anyone playing with Linux based home automation?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sat Oct 6 13:38:04 UTC 2012

I'm looking to update my not so smart motion detectors (outside and
inside) and light switches / outlets with something more modern.

I'm suprised to see the "Bottle Rocket" and X-10.com
stuff still seems to be one of the better ways to do this "easily".

the Insteon stuff looks interesting, might support both
X10 and Insteon protocol (Power Line Carrier and RF)
with the right hardware.

I'm not looking to do a "Home Media Center" type system
with lots of fancy controls.. More like fairly smart
automatic system running on a repurposed atom notebook
that will just do what I want it to automatically,
with some override capabilitiy when I want it.