[Chugalug] EPB articles at timesfreepress.com

David Snyder davids at volstate.net
Fri Oct 5 14:14:25 UTC 2012

Yes, of course.

All service providers oversubscribe.

Good service providers manage that process so that their customers never are impacted.  My business abandoned the residential market years ago for this reason.  It was just not economically feasible for us to provide enough bandwidth with the limited amount of scale we could achieve in that market.  Residential customers use more bandwidth than businesses, they require more technical support, they have many "issues" with their networks, and they pay far less.  Since we are a business only service provider my customers get great service, great bandwidth, and are never limited because of a hungry bit-torrent user or multiple gamers sucking down the available bandwidth.  We also have the resources to multi-home, which used to be a "big deal" (now that is the norm).

Also, it used to be possible to rate limit based on the usage or protocol of the network.  The FCC largely prohibited that so now service providers are having a difficult time delivering a good experience to all the users.  Lawsuits can happen from an unhappy user who feels they were short-changed on bandwidth.  This may tie in to why EPB is so reluctant to sell a "gig" to a gaming company.