[Chugalug] EPB articles at timesfreepress.com

David Snyder davids at volstate.net
Thu Oct 4 20:48:49 UTC 2012

Aaron,

I think EPB DID understand your technical details.  What you were offering was a way for EPB to attract and sign up more bandwidth hungry gamers to their system.  From a business perspective, I'm guessing their thinking was something like:

1.  Iron Gaming can really boost our signups at the "gig" level for residential service.
2.  Gamers are typically bandwidth hungry users and also like to use bit torrent.
3.  Hundreds or thousands of gamers in Chattanooga running bit torrent = huge losses for EPB.
4.  We better tell Iron Gaming to go use someone else's bandwidth.

You have a great idea and concept.  Great games locally via hosted servers all on a essentially a Gig WAN in Chattanooga.  My guess is that you actually found a realistic way for people to use the "gig" and the economic realities to EPB scared them away.

Of course, your model is also a bad headline for EPB. " EPB spends 550M of taxpayer dollars to provide entertainment services in Chattanooga."

Service providers count on a certain amount of oversubscription.  For every bandwidth hungry gamer they count on a dozen grandmas checking email.  I don't think EPB has enough experience (after all, they ARE just government employees, not entrepreneurs) at being business people.  They understand grants, and taxes, and electric rates.  They like publicity.  They hate actual usage of the network because they can't figure out how to make money under that model, and, frankly, I don't think the majority of EPB people actually care about the necessity of profits.  They can always just go back to the FEDS and get another grant, or, alternatively, raise the electric rates to close the gap.