[Chugalug] EPB articles at timesfreepress.com

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Thu Oct 4 16:53:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Ralph Edge <rledge21 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious - the $300 their consumer price for the gig, right?  What is
> their normal price for small business?

I work for Sonic.net, but what I'm about to write is gleaned from
public information and articles, not from particular knowledge of the

I believe that it costs about $500 per driveway passed to run overhead
fiber to a neighborhood, and that that means that Sonic needs a 1 in 3
households subscriber rate to make running fiber worthwhile at
$80/month. There are different prices for lines with service level
agreements, so, yes, businesses can get charged more, but the
interconnects to other providers are nowhere near saturated.

I strongly suspect that most of this kerfluffle that EPB doesn't know
how to run networking. And good for Aaron for turning this into a
Comcast vs EPB thing and pushing it into the press, that's the way to
get vendors motivated.