[Chugalug] Chattanooga Metro Net

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Oct 4 16:28:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012, David Snyder wrote:

> I remember well those days.  Do you recall the original 'Chattanooga
> Metronet"?  That is how EPB originally conned local service providers to
> support their network.  It was supposed to be a transport layer only for
> the benefit of all.  My how the "vision" has changed.  VOLstate was a
> "charter member" of that project that never happened as advertised.

http://chattanoogametro.net
http://chattmetro.net

I was at the kickoff meeting where they announced it, with
marketing and press materials already printed up with the
domain names above.

There was this moment when I asked them why they were using those domain
names... as they did not own them. They said "But they are available..."
I think my answer was "They were available" as I packed up my stuff
and left the room.

I still own those and some similar ones..  and if I ever get some time to
play with it, I'd like to setup a wireless mesh private network all over
downtown, a "darknet" anyone could join.