[Chugalug] Is there really a high tech shortage in the US?

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Wed Oct 3 19:14:33 UTC 2012

Hmmmmmm...
Now from the other end...
I sell myself as a 'Software Developer'.
And I am good developing software and writing solid code.
Mostly in C++, but I can do C, bash, perl, php, java, and I've done some C#.

I can navigate any windoze or *nix environment, write a GUI, server code, I
can analyze a tcpdump trace, I can build a network from the hardware up
(although my few brushes with 'Cisco' haven't been exactly pleasant) and I
have in the past configured devices to do things that the manufacturer said
could not be done.

I also speak fluent Spanish, I am an excellent teacher, I have successfully
and consistently trained people to snowboard, fly airplanes, gliders,
hangliders, write code, do system administration, even *THINK!*.

I have designed and written solid code that I have been able to cleanly
expand on a moment's notice (management forgot to implement some
requirements 2 weeks before delivery), I have taken on me to implement
separate networks for developers to test functions without risking collision
with production, and on and on and on and on...

What has all that bought me?
Nothing...

Well, not really true, the company that I saved the ass with the 'sudden
implementation of forgotten features' bought me a trip around Miami, the
Caribbean and NY, but refused to cover my immigration layers (yes, I was a
F#$%ING H1-B immigrant, but now I am a formal member of 'The Club') which
led me to find another job eventually...

Never mind that *I KNOW* that I have scared people off because I can answer
with a 'yes, I can do that' to just about anything they ask me to do.
I have even had hostile co-workers because I fixed issues that
it-was-not-my-job-to-fix and guess what: they were better friends to the
managers than I was...
I'll leave the outcome to your imagination...

In short, being able to wear any hat (and having worn just about every hat)
hasn't really bought me a big deal in 'Corporate America', and sometimes has
even worked against me.
What gives?   :)
ET