[Chugalug] Percona vs. MySQL

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 05:52:39 UTC 2012

Does anyone have experience with Percona versus MySQL?

The application in question has one really big table with a bunch of ENUMs
and one joined table (with a 4K text field). All reads, minimal writes.
Queries on the table work great in MySQL (MyISAM engine) with the DB is on
an SSD (on a the new bad-ass High I/O Quadruple Extra Large EC2 instances)
but performance sucks when the DB is moved back to EBS (and gets worse with
the production m1.large instance).

Think Percona will help? Should I bite the bullet and try Postgres?

-Eric