[Chugalug] OT maybe, python and apache

wes wes at the-wes.com
Sat Nov 17 19:02:26 UTC 2012

he was just explaining a bit about why it is the way it is. you should use
whatever works for you. once it works, don't mess with it!

without making backups that is. this is a good time to extol the virtues of
good backups. when you screw something up, as we all inevitably do, they
suddenly become PRICELESS! in the early stages, it would be great to get
into the habit of copying any files you're about to modify. I put a date on
anything that's only mine (on my own system) and on a shared system, I
include my name.

cp .bashrc .bashrc.2012-11-17
vi .bashrc
<break something>

actually, the example I randomly chose above reminds me to raise another
point that I hope you never have to struggle with. when modifying login
related things, KEEP YOUR CURRENT SESSION GOING. immediately after saving,
start a new SSH session or virtual terminal on the host and make sure you
can still get in. if not, you can always switch back to the session you
still have open and fix it.

don't learn the hard way! I did. and it sucked.

-wes