[Chugalug] AWS Reliability

wes wes at the-wes.com
Sat Nov 17 18:15:54 UTC 2012

I wouldn't call it the "norm" - I have over 50 instances on AWS EC2, many
making use of EBS volumes and other AWS features like RDS and Elasticache.
They generally work fine most of the time.

That said, I have had far fewer failures and usually lower prices on
Rackspace Cloud. Additionally, I have noticed Rackspace to be generally
responsive and cooperates with the community. Amazon, on the other hand,
has on occasion been difficult to work with on several points and not
always responsive to community demands. It's REALLY hard to get an email
out from an EC2 instance without it being flagged as spam. Plus, Rackspace
does less shenanigans with network traffic. Downside with Rackspace is they
have fewer features, but for a simple setup like you describe, this should
not be a problem.

-wes