[Chugalug] OT maybe, python and apache

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Sat Nov 17 17:14:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:21:38 -0600
Garrett Gaston <garrett85 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> a book and it's actually showing "#!/usr/bin/env python" but I
> decided to use what I got with the which command "which python3"
> -> /usr/bin/python3

I'm assuming that you've got this working now, but I wanted to note:

It used to be that we specified which interpreter we wanted with
#!/usr/bin/python or #!/usr/local/bin/python or #!/opt/run/python
or ... well ... you get the picture.

The problem was that when you tried to share a script file with someone
they'd say "Hey, I don't have "/opt/run/python" on my computer,
what'sup?"

This got even worse when you had dueling source control checkins. I
make it point to my favorite Python interpreter, check it in, you check
out the latest software, it breaks your build, you fix it to your
interpreter, check it in, after two or three rounds of that we're on to
passive-aggressive solutions like poisoning your lunch, or fouling up
your romantic entanglements, or kneecapping the starters in your
favorite sports leagues.

Finally, someone said "Hey, let's make /usr/bin/env find and run the
appropriate interpreter from the path, and if people want to
run /yargh/really/my/funky/build/python then they can change that in
their own personal environment and not inflict it on the rest of us."

Hope this helps explain things a bit.

Dan