[Chugalug] OT maybe, python and apache

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Nov 13 18:35:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:51:28 -0600
Garrett Gaston <garrett85 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dan, on the script you just sent me back:
>
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/danlyke/websites/flutterby.net/cgi-bin/
> 	<Directory "/home/danlyke/websites/flutterby.net/cgi-bin">
> 		AllowOverride None
> 		Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
> 		Order allow,deny
> 		Allow from all
> 	</Directory>

On Ubuntu, I put that segment in
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default

On some bastardized abomination like SL6... Uh... I mean, on my work
machine, that'd be in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf unless you set up
something else (which I would).

> adding /home/var/www to the <Directory... > field. I see you have
> "ScriptAlias /cgi-bin" What exactly is that for? It appears to me to
> be a directory right under / but then you give another path to
> cgi-bin far below your home directory.

So I actually just muck around with Apache stuff 'til it works, and
then never touch it again, but...

I believe that "ScriptAlias x /y/z/w" says "for every request that looks
like http:/blabla/x/, look on the local filesystem in the
folder /y/z/w".

Then the "<Directory ...>" tag says "Within this directory on the file
system, use these options". If you use the "<Location ...>" tag
instead, you're saying "Within this path on the HTTP request". I think.

I *think* that this setup basically says "Assume everything there is a
CGI script", which means that:

> One last thing. You'll notice
> that I have the file name simple1.cgi, are you saying that it should
> by .py?

simple1.cgi should work just fine. As should simple1.py.

Dan