[Chugalug] Flaky Tomato

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:11:25 UTC 2012

My Linksys E3000 running Tomato-USB (a variant of DD-WRT) has started
getting flaky. Latency has become a real problem. Right now I am seeing
~60ms ping times between my desktop and router (GigE) and ~200ms to
www.flutterby.com. It should be < 1ms to the router and closer to 60ms to
www.flutterby.com.

I turned off the DNS and am using an external DNS. And I'm trying to turn
off all unnecessary services. But ssh is being almost unresponsive and the
web interface is pretty much dead. When I reset, I get a few seconds of
normal operation and then things get slow again.

What concerns me is that the router is still working at all... I am afraid
it may have been compromised. Anyone else have experience with this?

-Eric

P.S. I ordered a new router just in case. I loathe the thought of having to
buy a router at OfficeDepot or BestBuy.