[Chugalug] /var/log/messages not sorted correctly

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sat Nov 10 23:07:39 UTC 2012

> * This server has been compromised (good thing I took backups of everything
> just about a week ago)
> * Both

I'll vote for "both".

While it could be a clock problem, and I would start with that.
Then install from a properly running similar system, a known good ps, top, ps,
du, etc.. etc.. in an odd directory to poke around with. For example,
compare the output of /clean/ps with /usr/bin/ps

Side note: On a fresh system I have often made a '/root/clean.zip'
wih what I consider the system debug essentials: ps, ls, ..