[Chugalug] /var/log/messages not sorted correctly

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 19:29:48 UTC 2012

I inherited the task to support a large website running on a cPanel server
(I hate cpanel and refuse to touch it as much as possible) that is hosted
and managed by a different company (not me).

After today, it might be time for me to convince the site owners to switch
to me. =)

Anyone ever heard of a CentOS /var/log/messages file showing entries that
are completely (and randomly) out of order?

I've engaged the web hosting provider, as the website is currently giving
off 500s. I manually went through the access_log, and discovered it has
been that way since a little after 1:45am this morning.

/var/log/messages look fine before and after a chunk of time in that range,
but right around thing, things look really screwed up.

I'm thinking either...
* cPanel sucks
* This server has been compromised (good thing I took backups of everything
just about a week ago)
* Both

Thoughts?

--
- David White -
Smooth Stone Services *(soon to be CENTS)*

Existing Website: http://www.smoothstoneservices.com
New Website (coming soon): http://developCENTS.com