[Chugalug] Pawn Shop PC's

Randy Yates lpcustom at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 22:06:07 UTC 2012

That's true, Steve. I wonder what the laws are for pawn shops when handling
computers. If your friend reported the serial number and it shows up in a
pawnshop, I'm pretty sure they have to check if it's stolen. If they don't
follow that law, I doubt they'd follow a law that said they have to wipe a
hard drive x amount of times though.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Steve Keylon <skeylon at lamppostgroup.com>wrote:

> Randy,
>
> My friend's trunk was broken into the other day and his macbook was
> stolen. Unfortunately, he had forgotten to enable FindMyMac prior to this.
> A police report has been filed, but all hope is lost at this point.
>
> We can talk all day about what could have been done to help this
> situation. However, the fact of the matter is he's not the one taking that
> laptop to the pawn shop but he is the one with the identity in potential
> danger of being stolen. Sure, pawn shops are supposed to watch out for
> stolen items, and sure, sometimes the items get found at the pawn shop. But
> think about all the times that these systems fail.
>
> ----
> Steve Keylon
> Lamp Post Group
> steve.keylon at lamppostgroup.com
> 866-272-2057 ext. 1072
>

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Randy Yates <lpcustom at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As someone who has frequented Pawn Shops and needed them from time to
>> time, I have to say my identity isn't worth stealing. I'm going to go out
>> on a limb and say that most people who lose their computer in a pawn shop
>> probably don't have very good credit. Thus their need for pawn shops. Also,
>> knowing a lot of pawn shop owners, I doubt any of them wipe any PC whether
>> it's Windows, Linux, or Mac.

Google reads my email!