[Chugalug] Reinstalling Linux

John Aldrich mrmaxx at spamcop.net
Sun Nov 4 04:16:47 UTC 2012

On Sat November 3 2012 11:26:20 PM James Nylen wrote:

I always find the process of reinstalling an OS very painful, and I try to do
it as rarely as possible.  But, I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on my main PC, and it
is really starting to show its age, along with some strange quirks.  The last
straw is that gnome-panel refuses to display the system-monitor applet now.  I
like having those important system health indicators always visible.

(I'm probably going to switch to plain Debian next, or maybe something like
Bodhi - I want nothing to do with unity on my desktop).

The problem is that I have a lot of custom configuration (Apache with a fairly
extensive custom config and related scripts, a few important patches installed,
custom window manager setup, etc.) that will be pretty time-consuming to redo.

So here's my question: in the future, how can I minimize the time spent on
annoying things like configuring my webserver how I want after a reinstall?
 Any good methods for lightweight application virtualization?

Also, is there a way that I can take my current machine, turn it into a VM,
and keep it running until I can get services back up in a new install?
 Preferably all this would happen with minimal downtime.

Just as an aside... there are "spins" of Ubuntu that don't use Unity. Only the
main Gnome-centric version uses Unity, AFAIK. For example, there's XUbuntu,
Kubuntu, etc. :D