[Chugalug] Copyright alert system

Christopher Rimondi chris.rimondi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 23:48:44 UTC 2012

A story broke a couple of weeks ago about ISP's voluntarily participating
in a copyright alert system.

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/262315-internet-providers-set-to-crack-down-on-illegal-file-sharing

 Essentially, intellectual property holders will flag an IP address for
peer-to-peer sharing and let the ISP know. The ISP will then send alerts to
suspected users letting them know they have been flagged. They might also
put them in a "walled-garden" where they will force fed "educational
material" that they must read before leaving. Two questions for anyone who
might know.

1. What is the nature of the alerts? HTTP redirects, DNS redirects, Java
script inserted into legitimate pages? I couldn't seem to find anything on
this.
2. Why would ISPs voluntarily participate in a program like this? I have a
few guesses such as it will save them from future litigation or the content
owners are paying them directly. But, does anyone have evidence on why they
are doing this?

I have heard this referred to as "SOPA-lite".

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Rimondi | http://twitter.com/crimondi