[Chugalug] Amazon ec2 prices

Dr.D don at coastlandtech.com
Sat Nov 3 21:48:34 UTC 2012

I backup about 100G a month to AWS.s3 (only up) and run a "tiny" Linux
server that I run some watch-dog scripts to let me know when something is
going on at my COlO or on my servers.. And pay about $26 a month..

If you only have 1 or 2 sites, and little database small is okay..
More than 10 sites using databases you need the more than the medium...
More than 100 sites needs the Extra Large..

I ran 460 sites on the Extra Large (Centos 5) for about 3 hours for a test
and it was a little slow..   This also was
after midnight.. And I did see some 1 to 2 pauses at times, I could tell
from what I normally see on my own hardware..
I know you can run more that one copy but with all the sites each having
their own databases, it's not practical for me..

But I now see that now have a "Quadruple Extra Large" for 3.10 a hour that I
may could replace one of my HP server for a few hours if I had too.

Just my 2 cents on what I know of aws.. And how it really preformed for me..

Dr.D