[Chugalug] Email message authentication, encryption

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 13:53:35 UTC 2012

Quoting Billy <flushy at flushy.net>:

> Think of it like snail mail.
> One way ensures the message came from that street address and only
> that street address.
> The other way ensures that the message inside the envelope was not
> tampered with and was written by the person it says it was written by.
> Gpg can also fully encrypt the message. Thus ensuring that the
> envelope wasn't opened, that only the recipient can open it, and
> that it was indeed written by the person that it says wrote it.
Also, with regards to the question about using GPG in your email
client. Most email clients will require a plugin of some sort. Some
will not work with GPG at all (Don't know if the latest version of
Windows Mail will, for example.) Last time I looked at GPG and MS
Outlook, it was kind of a kludge as there was not a real
"Microsoft-blessed" plugin.