[Chugalug] i.t. budget should only be 5% to 10% of entire company budget????

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Dec 20 14:48:13 UTC 2012

> from 5 years to 20 years.   Being the "fat lazy Americans" that we are, any one
> of our salaries exceeds your example of 30k...  but not by much.  We probably

That "30k" was per month, for 4-5  people, in a foreign country where
$5kUSD per month costs would be rare-air category. I was rounding up.

> Anway, like I said, I don't even know what our revenue is...   perhaps its a
> function of the $25/hour rate that our one and only "client" slapped upon us

Uh.. if 25 is payroll only, that might work, if it's payroll and
overhead, though art doomed.  Old number from the back of my hospital
days was a $10/hr employee (housekeeper at a hospital) had a total cost
$37.50 per hour.

$25*2080/hrs = 52k per year total. or about $35k salary plus basic bene's

> So what do y'all do to convince the business side of your organization that I.T.
> is not a drain?   Or in other words...   got any good, shareable ideas on how to
> make I.T. a profit center (and still get paid)?

At some point, you can only win by being prepared to lose.
Do not confuse stability with stagnation.

(and at this moment, I'm being a bit of a hypocrite and not following my
own advice and mottos, but I know I am... and am gambling)