[Chugalug] i.t. budget should only be 5% to 10% of entire company budget????

Ed King chevyiinova at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 20 02:31:13 UTC 2012

<grind>

I will do a similar analysis....  if/when I am ever shown actual revenue and
budget numbers.   We have 3 people (we used to have a lot more when we had 2
separate I.T. teams but we lost the whole other team) consisting of 2 full
timers and 1 as-needed contractor,  Our team's programming experience ranges
from 5 years to 20 years.   Being the "fat lazy Americans" that we are, any one
of our salaries exceeds your example of 30k...  but not by much.  We probably
have the lowest paid programming staff in town (www.payscale.com), so when I
hear of further I.T. cuts, yeah, I get pissed, but also excited...  at the
prospect of starting over fresh at a new job ;)

Anway, like I said, I don't even know what our revenue is...   perhaps its a
function of the $25/hour rate that our one and only "client" slapped upon us
(hey wait a minute, shouldn't "we" be able to set the rate if we are truly
separate company?!).     I've seen what hourly rates the applicants for a recent
open position were asking for, and it sure as hell wasn't $25/hour.   What about
the folks who wear multiple hats (programmer, project manager, dba, sysadmin),
should I get paid 25 per hour per hat?

Something just does not add up.  I can't see how a team of 3 who DELIVERS (our
code gets used; puts money in owner's pocket; and our project/servers aren't
sitting in a room collecting dust because the project failed/cancelled) at a
rate of $25/hr could be that much of a drain.

So what do y'all do to convince the business side of your organization that I.T.
is not a drain?   Or in other words...   got any good, shareable ideas on how to
make I.T. a profit center (and still get paid)?

</grind>