[Chugalug] i.t. budget should only be 5% to 10% of entire company budget????

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Dec 19 23:45:16 UTC 2012

Just as a SWAG, I'll wager our utility customers IT budget is -way- less
than 10% of their total budget. For example, one small utility is approx
40 million USD a month. 10 % of that is 4,000,000 per month. They have an
IT Director and approx 4 people under him, that's < 30k per month in
payroll. Hardware, software, a few consultants, contract services,
communications, etc.. probably another 50k -100k per month.

Rounding up, with overhead. etc I'll bet the budget is less than 150k per
month. Call it < 200k just to make sure.

200,000 / 40,000,000 = .5%

At that scale, they don't use Linux to save money,
they use it because it works ( and we like it! ).

Mike Harrison   bogon at geeklabs.com  cell: 423.605.6943