[Chugalug] gedit vs geany

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Wed Dec 19 15:29:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:15:45 +0000 (UTC)
Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:
> THAT's how you got those nice curves! Awesome!
> http://www.flutterby.net/Image:2012-12-16GuitarBodyMostlyShaped.jpg

Yep, that's the baby! When I first started using it it was terrifying
and left stripes and marks everywhere, now I'm thinking about upgrading
to the disk with the chainsaw teeth on it, like the serious carvers

Which fits that progression of tools simile quite nicely.

I think it's also worth noting that in woodworking I've gotten safer
even as some of my tools have gotten scarier, because I've adopted
practices about building procedures, working from templates and guides,
making sure that pieces are firmly clamped so that only one element
(tool or workpiece) is moving at a time.

There are definitely analogues to this in programing and sysadminning.