[Chugalug] gedit vs geany

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Wed Dec 19 15:15:24 UTC 2012

There is another thing for Vim (vi is ANOTHER can of worms!):
regular expressions.

It took me a while (LONG while) to decide to face the regexp dragon, but now
that I can sort-of put together some of them, my only regret is:
WHY DIDN'T I TRY SOONER!?

You can do unbelievable powerful magic with regexps, and once you go regexp,
you'll LOVE! Vim (and sed and grep).

Regular expressions are not easy, but they are not impossible.
All it takes is a commitment to ask, when facing some boring single-pattern
multiple-lines change:
how do I regxep this?
Then you find one solution.
And another.
And another one!
And (oh boy) yo begin smiling and thinking "this is *SOOOO KEWL!!!*"  :)
Try it, you won't regret it.

If you want to try regexps and you are (like me) lazy, feel free to send me
an email asking how to regexp something and I'll give it a shot.  I'll send
you back the regexp plus the explanation of how it works.

No, I am neither that helpful nor that wizard.
It has become now a (sometimes) entertaining challenge to regexp stuff and
the more I try the more I learn.  Feel free to send me Vim questions too.
Back when I began learning vi in 1996 (I'm still learning), there was a guy
in the office that had an answer at his fingertips just about every-time.
Made learning vi enjoyable as opposite as frustrating.  And I can certainly
learn (or challenge my knowledge) with your questions.
ET

PS: If you send me a specific question, make sure that you send it to my
address, sometimes I overlook messages in the list.