[Chugalug] gedit vs geany

DaWorm daworm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 15:12:01 UTC 2012

On Dec 19, 2012 5:08 AM, "Mike Harrison" <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

> Choose and use and become proficient on an editor you can use while
shelled in.. and then use a GUI when it is appropriate and understand the
differences. Need to fix a line or two of code, a config file..
> a terminal editor wins hands down. For other things, you have choices.

Fortunately, as a home desktop linux user (little linux at work, at least
not that I work on), the only times I absolutely must work in the terminal
are when my graphics drivers or xorg config are busted, and for those
situations I've learned enough of nano to get me by.

I hope to begin using embedded linux at work in the future as our apps are
growing beyond homegrown OS' and small RTOS', needing things like SSL, USB,
and WLAN support that is difficult to do on your own, and in that
environment I may need something closer to the metal.  Necessity is the
best teacher.

Jeff.